cb650 – pod filters
Below is the info you need to get pod filters dialed in on your 79-82 cb650.
79-80 (mechanical piston slide carbs)
- 120 main jet (stock is 92) *** try a 115-117 if you’re at high elevation
- 42 slow jet (stock is 35) *** try a 40 if you’re at high elevation. Drill out the 35 to a 40
- mixture screws set to 1.5 turns out
- float height set to stock measurement
- mac 4-1 header / exhaust (ebay)
- emgo 48mm pod filters (ebay) – (you have to slightly modify the 2 inner pods to clear the choke, i doubled up the rubber sleeve and used rubber epoxy to seal, glue them together)
- Better than pod filters are velocity stacks. Bike runs best with these. They’re a little hard to find though. You want 43-46mm. But… you’ll want to run k&n filter bags. Info HERE.
All jets bought from either:
If you’re having a hard time finding jets, you can buy a jet reaming kit and drill your stock jets out to the sizes you need.
81-82 (constant velocity slide carbs)
DynoJet makes a kit. All the info you need is on below links (the kit says 80-82, but that is a typo… it will only fit 81 and 82):
All this info for 79-82 is dependent on the fact that you’re living around sea-level, and your carbs are already running good. If you have shitty carbs, you might wanna rebuild them and get them clean as fuck before you attempt putting pods on. If you’re high up in the mountains, you want slightly smaller jet sizes than what I spec’d out.
The cycle will run a little hotter, simply because you’re going to be making a significant amount more power than stock. Makes sense that more power (more of an explosion in the combustion chamber) is going to create more heat. To offset this extra heat, I recommend adding an oil cooler. INFO FOR THAT HERE. Also, for 79-80 carbs, my set up is the tiniest bit rich, so it’s absolutely not running lean. Lean would add extra heat. My spark plugs have been a perfect light-golden brown for years now. No problems at all.
60 responses to “cb650 – pod filters”
Published - Jul 10, 2011
If you missed the camping trip, you missed out big time. Sat night was pretty awesome. I was on auto-pilot the whole night. I’m sure you’ll hear some of the stories of the craziness that went down at the “bars”. haha. Check “I like the weekend” for all the images!