1975 Yamaha DT175

I recently picked up this DT175. I’ve been looking for an old 2-stroke Yamaha enduro for awhile and found this one for a good deal out in the Poconos. It was a shitty drive out of the city in rush hour traffic but it was well worth it. It’s a bit beat up but everything is there and the engine has 120psi compression. It should be back on the road in a few weeks.

yamaha_dt175-9
yamaha_dt175
yamaha_dt175-2
yamaha_dt175-3

Pumped it came with the original rack. These go for way too much money on ebay.

yamaha_dt175-4

The 175 came with some big upgrades for 2-strokes in the 70’s including a reed block (the piece between the carburetor and engine).

yamaha_dt175-5

The head has 2 spots for spark plugs (2nd spot has a cap on it in the pic) incase you foul a plug you can just pop the cap onto the other spark plug and keep riding.

yamaha_dt175-6

Yea, the tank is shitty inside and needs to be sealed with some Caswell.

yamaha_dt175-7

This was just the beginning of the electrical mess on this bike. I unwrapped a section with speaker wire and Pepboys crimp connectors… gross.

yamaha_dt175-8

Rear wheel needs some new spokes and a truing.

yamaha_dt175-10
yamaha_dt175-11

20 responses to “1975 Yamaha DT175”

1. Ben says:

In the words of big Ed…”I’m into it”.

2. Brian says:

I’m very jealous.

3. Carson says:

Welcome to the world of 2-strokes. Order yourself some .3 carbon reed paper and cut some carbon reeds for that thing and you’ll be ripping.

4. adam says:

@carson, yea I’ve been looking at getting these for it:

Any benefit of the carbon reeds compared to those?

5. Carson says:

I’ve heard good things about Boysen reeds, but i’m not too keen on fiberglass reed material, it’s heavy and doesn’t respond as well as carbon does. https://www.treatland.tv/malossi-reed-paper-p/malossi-reed-paper-ko.htm

thats what I normally use, it opens and closes faster giving you a little more torque on the bottom and less blowback in your filter.

6. Devyn says:

damn fine photos

Thanks Devyn. I hadn’t shot my SLR in awhile so it was fun shooting these.

8. Tom says:

first bike i ever rode was a 1971 200cc two stroke yamaha. great find!

9. Steve says:

I have a bucket of ’73 360 parts up at the shop. If you need anything let me know

10. MSnyder says:

I have the exact same bike in my garage. I’ve had it since I was a teenager. It still runs and is in pretty good shape.

11. adam says:

@msnyder Send some pictures of it? Are you in the Philly area?

12. […] what I paid for… a complete beat ass enduro. Here’s the photos from when I first got it HERE. It took some work to get it back on the road but I did it and for little $$. The goal was to have […]

13. 75 says:

I have the same bike issued to me but mine needs a whole restorayion. Still runs but onbita last legs.

14. randy says:

I have one exactly like it. In amazing shape. Only paid $800 and drove it home. Somebody traded it in at the dealer and the dealer just wanted the old bike out of his shop. Some people just don’t see the value in vintage stuff. Those people make me happy because they still it for cheap.

15. Brian says:

I have one of these great fun on my second gas tank as the first one rusted out payed like $ 200 for it about 20 years ago needed a clutch. Much fun lots of grunt can’t beat a 2 cycle for that

16. Sidney says:

I just found a Yamaha 175 enduro for $300. The body is in great condition but it does not run. Any advice?? Is that a good deal?

17. mark says:

i have one of these that was mine since i was a kid. it runs and is in better shape than the one found here. Anyone interested in buying?

18. Randy says:

I just acquired one of these in excellent shape. May have been the commenter before me mikes this one was owned by a guy named mark since he was a kid beautiful bike I’m fixin it up defiantly has real potential

19. Murrell Saville says:

I just bought a 1975dt175b. Endruo had one just like it when I was a kid . 62 years old now . But I love the look of these old bikes . Mines runs as long as I spray gas in the intake . So I guess I need a new carb , or replace the carb. But I would like to find another bike for a parts bike , tach. Speedometer turn signals. And the guy I got it from did away with the oil injection, so u have to mix the gas. But I want to make it back to normal . Any ideas out there . I am in michigan thanks for anu help