Z1 shakedown run
Adam and I leave for our trip in a few days.
Since doing the engine rebuild I haven’t ridden the bike more than 20 miles.
I finally got it dialed in and rode it to a website conference in DC I’m at for a couple days. It was a successful shake down run. No oil leaks. Smooth and fast.
Below is a random list of shit I encountered getting it dialed.
– had to do the head gasket twice due to something I didn’t know about when converting to the wiseco big bore kit
– kz motors have the worst intake manifold design ever. Air leaks… Shit of a time to seal up but I got it
– I added an oil cooler. Hopefully this keeps the temp down a few degrees cause the kz motors get hot
– I had a bitch of a time getting the cam end plugs to seal properly. I had to buy ape metal ones. That did it
– I added a competition baffle to my kerker exhaust. I previously was running no baffle so this quiets it down a tad
– big item… I added CR carbs. I came to the conclusion my z1 carbs were junk and it became really evident since the rebuild
– jetting the carbs took longer than I thought but I eventually got it. It’s set up a hair rich. Just the way I like it. Nice and safe
– I’m getting 40mpg on 93 octane
– I added braided steel brake lines. Was a bitchhhh bleeding them. Adam and I took them apart and realized one of the pads was frozen in the middle holder thing. It broke removing it so I’m running a single disk now
– I’m estimating I should have just shy of 100hp. Stock is 83 and with all the shit I did. It should be easily 95hp
– my front rim was bent. Long story short the z1 was a junker when I got it. I took the tire off and straightened it as best I could without relacing it. It’s a lot smoother at 90mph now. Before felt sketchy as shit
One response to “Z1 shakedown run”
Published - Feb 21, 2010
This weekend I finished fabricating the front end of my bike. Started by mocking up and drafting the gauge/switch bracket. Spray mounted my mechanical drawing onto an 1/8″ flat stock steel and then roughed out the shape with the hacksaw and cleaned it up with files. Installed! Left switch is for the High/Low beam and […]