1980 Kawasaki KZ750
I’ve been into the KZ750’s for awhile now (old post sweating KZ’s) and I’ve been keeping an eye out for a deal. Well, this week this KZ popped up on craigslist and I went and bought it on Friday after work. The owner had moved to Florida and needed to sell it so was able to get it for $450 without a title. The owner had questionable Maine paperwork from 2010 but I think I’m just going to do the Vermont trick. Either way, the title work shouldn’t be an issue.
These KZ motors have some decent power, 74 hp stock.
Some of my favorite things about this particular KZ750 model:
– Kawasaki mag wheels. Especially the 18″ rear mag
– Non cruiser front forks
– Dual disk upfront rear disk. Rear disk looks super tough IMO
– It’s a complete turd stock so I think it gets overlooked
– Parts are pretty cheap and there’s plenty of availability
– GPZ engine parts can be nice upgrades to this motor.
Things I don’t like:
– Painted black engine
– No kickstarter (however, a KZ650 kick assembly supposedly can be installed)
– CV carbs
– 2 up sloppy jalopy seat
– Blue spray painted tank
– 80’s era emissions control crap
Things I hope to be able to do with it (biggest restriction will be $$$):
– Kerker exhaust
– Oil cooler
– Keihin CR carbs
– Progressive suspension front and back
I’m putting the bike away till winter to give myself time to get the title sorted and come up with a design for the bike. Either way, I’m excited to own it and make it into something unique this winter. Either way it’s gonna rip once it’s done.
14 responses to “1980 Kawasaki KZ750”
Published - Mar 22, 2018
Part 1: Hanoi to Ha Giang Jake, Radke, and I decided to visit the 2 wheel mecca of Vietnam. Most of my vacations all center around some sort of 2 wheel adventure and Vietnam always comes in at the top of everyone’s lists. I’ve taken to seeing it as a motorcyclists Hajj, if you will. […]