1976 Honda CB550

Last month marked 6 years of owning my ’76 CB550. It all started with Ed breaking down in Morgantown, PA on our way back from Denver, CO in 2010. Lucky for us, the house we broke down in front of was a motorcyclist and helped us out. While at his house we got to check out this 550 in his garage. That following spring, I went back and knocked on his door asking if he would sell the 550 and we made a deal. I have no plans of ever selling this bike.

Buying a non running bike for $1500 was a stretch back then but worth every penny looking back now.

The day I picked it up

adam-new-cb550-03
adam-new-cb550-04
adam-new-cb550-06

Modifications / Upgrades:
CB400 Super Sport foot pegs and shift linkage
CB650 cam for more lift and duration
Dual front disc with stainless steel brake lines
’78 rocker box
Progressive rear shocks
Nissin front brake master cylinder and steel lines
Electrosport regulator rectifier
Starter delete
Slim wiring harness
Left control only (hi/lo,on/off,horn) from an XT500
Uni pod filters
CB650 points cover
Finned stator cover
Early CB350 tail light
Slim seat

Here’s how it looks today.

honda cb550-1
honda cb550-2
honda cb550-3
honda cb550-4
honda cb550-5
honda cb550-6
honda cb550-7

13 responses to “1976 Honda CB550”

1. D Car says:

Cool post. I’m not in to the buying and flipping thing. Taking care of something for a long time instead of looking for the next come up is rad.

Thank man. I want to do a few more of these type of posts with you guys.

3. Nate says:

I’m disappointed you removed that sweet sissy/rack. Bring it back!

4. Tom says:

Good stuff. This post just got me to thinking and realizing I have owned my CB500 for almost 20years! First bike I have ever owned and last I would ever sell.

Tom your 500 is so unique. I’d love to see a write up of your history with it.

6. Mike says:

Gotta love this bike. Thank god Ed broke down am I right?

7. Boogie says:

is that an aftermarket seat, or a stock seat shaved down and reupholstered? and did it require modifications to the frame? clean bike

It’s a reupholstered stock pan that uses all the stock mounts. I’m a big fan of keeping seats with the stock functionality so that I can still keep things under the seat. I got the seat from Texavina.

9. Boogie says:

thanks! which clubman bars are those? any issues with hitting the tank or gauges?

10. Jan says:

which bar is this? any issues with hitting the tank or gauges?

11. Tim says:

Just right. Love the seat – based on the original pan?

12. Jason says:

Do you know the SKU on the seat?

13. Scott Acheson says:

Nice! I was surfing for parts for my CB550 K4 When I bought mine it had no carbs…slowly rebuilding it. Hope I can make it turn out as nice as yours. I like to see your mods because I am new with this motorcycle….I had a 1976 Honda 360T, back in the day, and this motorcycle is one of my projects! Keep on Truckin! Thanks!