XR650L – how to
Yes, I talked shit on XR650L’s in the past, but I have an idea and it’s the only bike that works. I’m planning on shipping it out west to leave out there, to do trips over the next few years.
Heres the way I thought about it:
- Ultra low compression motor will never break
- Can do a week of highway or a week off-road no prob
- Super inexpensive bike
- Honda never changed a nut or bolt since 1993
- Buy one under $4K that didn’t appear abused, all stock … and under 10k mileage
- Just spend a little more to get one that’s solid with low miles and it should run forever if maintained
With a couple quick mods the bike can be not that lame or embarrassing to ride:
- De-smog and de-snorkel
- Uni filter / DG v2 pipe with 1″ v2 silencer, end cap drilled out to 3/8″
- Without the 1″ silencer the DG pipe was insane loud.
- Dave carb mod. 160/58/2.5
- FritzCo wide front sprocket so countershaft doesn’t get beat up
- Dual sport dad I bought it from had done Eibach front and rear suspension / xr600r gearing / bars / pegs etc
- Only decent looking bigger tank is IMS clear tank. Going to get that one.
What I don’t like:
- The years that have black color on top of the seat
- Keeping the turn signals
- Stock tail light
- Low bars, gotta go tall bars
- Non-knobby tires
What I do like:
- More fun to ride than I thought. Plenty of power after de-smog
- More capable in woods than I thought
- With all dumb shit removed looks like a normal dirt bike just bigger
- Good gas mileage, motor barely needs service ever, ultra reliable
- Sits on the highway at 70-75mph comfy all day no sweat
5 responses to “XR650L – how to”
Published - Dec 29, 2010
Early summer morning blast to the beach with ricky.