Canadian Rockies – recap
Trip is over. Most of the guys flew home. Adam and I fly home in a couple hours. Hanging at Colin’s shop “number 8 wire” at the moment. Film photos to come in a month probably.
Thought I’d do a quick recap.
- Overall I had a ton of fun. Really great time
- I’ll quote Quinn; not the trip I would’ve planned but glad Ben and Adam and others planned it
- Beautiful scenery everywhere. Mountains and hills. Wildlife. Stuff I’ve never seen in this capacity and scale
- Covered 2100 miles total
- No major bike breakdowns
- 4 crashes: 1) Ben lost a water bottle on dirt trail and it took down Andrew. 2) Ben slid on slick wet mud and toppled over at 1mph. 3) Quinn lost it on a dirt road and went down at speed but was okay. 4) Quinn tries to climb a hill and lost
- Impressed with Quinn doing everything on Guzzi
- BMW GS did everything really well
- No motels
- XR650L was a champ. Did everything great except over 75mph sucks bad
- Weather varied a ton. Super cold then hot
- This trip def made me rethink my rain gear and cold weather gear
- I accidentally burned my RSD gloves by the fire
- Shinko 805 tires did great but not going to get them again. Was impressed more with other guys TKC80 tires
- This trip was mostly on-road but we def did a nice amount of off-road
- Def adding an oil cooler to the XR
- 6 people and everyone was able to compromise at times
- XR650L averaged 47mpg
- Favorite Quinn quote: “I got caught partying” … when he crashed on dirt road
All setup now in Montana to do future trips heading south all off-road so happy about that.
Trans continental divide trail off-road going south, Cali desert, then ultimately Baja someday. But probably come out to visit Colin again soon, and explore more of Montana off-road for a long weekend.
One response to “Canadian Rockies – recap”
Published - Oct 27, 2012
Couple leaves caught me off guard and went down. Broke clutch perch. So… Watch out for those leaves. I’m always looking for them and they still got me. Fuckers. Low speed… so all is good.