Canadian Rockies – recap
Trip is over. Most of the guys flew home. Adam and I fly home in a couple hours. Hanging at Colin’s shop “number 8 wire” at the moment. Film photos to come in a month probably.
Thought I’d do a quick recap.
- Overall I had a ton of fun. Really great time
- I’ll quote Quinn; not the trip I would’ve planned but glad Ben and Adam and others planned it
- Beautiful scenery everywhere. Mountains and hills. Wildlife. Stuff I’ve never seen in this capacity and scale
- Covered 2100 miles total
- No major bike breakdowns
- 4 crashes: 1) Ben lost a water bottle on dirt trail and it took down Andrew. 2) Ben slid on slick wet mud and toppled over at 1mph. 3) Quinn lost it on a dirt road and went down at speed but was okay. 4) Quinn tries to climb a hill and lost
- Impressed with Quinn doing everything on Guzzi
- BMW GS did everything really well
- No motels
- XR650L was a champ. Did everything great except over 75mph sucks bad
- Weather varied a ton. Super cold then hot
- This trip def made me rethink my rain gear and cold weather gear
- I accidentally burned my RSD gloves by the fire
- Shinko 805 tires did great but not going to get them again. Was impressed more with other guys TKC80 tires
- This trip was mostly on-road but we def did a nice amount of off-road
- Def adding an oil cooler to the XR
- 6 people and everyone was able to compromise at times
- XR650L averaged 47mpg
- Favorite Quinn quote: “I got caught partying” … when he crashed on dirt road
All setup now in Montana to do future trips heading south all off-road so happy about that.
Trans continental divide trail off-road going south, Cali desert, then ultimately Baja someday. But probably come out to visit Colin again soon, and explore more of Montana off-road for a long weekend.
One response to “Canadian Rockies – recap”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Published - Mar 4, 2010
the cb450 seat
…was super tall from Honda. I could barely touch the ground flat-foot on it!!! So, I found a seat on eBay that was real slick looking that was said to fit the 1970-1974 cb450. This is the dude’s eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/hondaclassic31 He def has some real sick seats for a lot of different bikes. Anyway, […]
Hell yea. You guys make me rethink trying to sell my XR650L…and that my ~240 degrees is fine.
Happy to hear everyone made it out mostly whole – I was thinking of you guys up in the eastern OR mountains in the freezing cold myself. Take care!