cb500t – engine rebuild – Part 3
Here’s an update on my cb475 supersport build.
The engine is basically finished.
All that’s left is to put on my high polished engine covers and I’m putting in a new clutch.
I installed new valves seals.
Below pic –
I installed the rest of the cylinder head. I didn’t get to officially test the torsion bars. I used NOS for side B, and the two firmest ones I had out of about 6 possible for side A. It was overly apparent which were within spec and which weren’t based on preload tension. If you can push the valve open with your finger… it’s worn. If you don’t have to pre-load… it’s worn. I also polished the cam lobes and cam follower lobes with metal polish to ensure they’re super slick. It should prevent future wear issues I hope. And… assembly lube is your friend. Loctite everything. Axial cam clearance – check. Cylinder head done.
Installed new pistons. Rings positioned correctly. Slid the cylinders over.
~10.7 compression – 550cc – Boom
Below pic –
I hate a leaking head gasket. The absolute worst. It seems every jap bike head gasket will eventually leak oil. Indian-Head gasket stuff is supposed to be the best, so I used a thin coating on each side of my head gasket. Fucker better never leak or i’ll ride the bike off a cliff.
Engine all assembled. All torqued to spec. In time. Valve clearance done. All loctite’d. Turns over nice and tight and smooth. Also installed a new cam chain and cam chain tensioner.
Not related to the engine…
Devyn from Urban Cycle Works painted my side covers to match my NOS tank. They match damn near perfect. I’m pumped. The 450 is going to look sick as shit.
I’m on the last stretch. This is what I have left. It’ll go quick:
– clean up my frame, and spot paint it
– put engine back in frame
– put on my polished engine covers
– install the new clutch kit
– install the electronic ignition
– polish up everything else that’s gross right now
– put on the new “used” awesome condition OEM mufflers
– put on the new “used” awesome condition OEM gauges
– probably fix and paint my headlight bucket
– clean my carbs again. Increase my main jet to a 150 or 155
– I have all new cables too and all that dumb little shit
12 responses to “cb500t – engine rebuild – Part 3”
Published - Aug 4, 2010
Wanted a good, fun little camping trip this weekend, and Max came through with some renegade camping spot near High Points PA. Nice, secluded spot about a hr north of the city, complete with some great back roads and swimming hole. Sitting around the campfire. Cruising great roads around New Hope. This is not man-made, […]