Z1 shakedown run
Adam and I leave for our trip in a few days.
Since doing the engine rebuild I haven’t ridden the bike more than 20 miles.
I finally got it dialed in and rode it to a website conference in DC I’m at for a couple days. It was a successful shake down run. No oil leaks. Smooth and fast.
Below is a random list of shit I encountered getting it dialed.
– had to do the head gasket twice due to something I didn’t know about when converting to the wiseco big bore kit
– kz motors have the worst intake manifold design ever. Air leaks… Shit of a time to seal up but I got it
– I added an oil cooler. Hopefully this keeps the temp down a few degrees cause the kz motors get hot
– I had a bitch of a time getting the cam end plugs to seal properly. I had to buy ape metal ones. That did it
– I added a competition baffle to my kerker exhaust. I previously was running no baffle so this quiets it down a tad
– big item… I added CR carbs. I came to the conclusion my z1 carbs were junk and it became really evident since the rebuild
– jetting the carbs took longer than I thought but I eventually got it. It’s set up a hair rich. Just the way I like it. Nice and safe
– I’m getting 40mpg on 93 octane
– I added braided steel brake lines. Was a bitchhhh bleeding them. Adam and I took them apart and realized one of the pads was frozen in the middle holder thing. It broke removing it so I’m running a single disk now
– I’m estimating I should have just shy of 100hp. Stock is 83 and with all the shit I did. It should be easily 95hp
– my front rim was bent. Long story short the z1 was a junker when I got it. I took the tire off and straightened it as best I could without relacing it. It’s a lot smoother at 90mph now. Before felt sketchy as shit
One response to “Z1 shakedown run”
Published - Oct 27, 2010
Cleaned up the wheels. Inside the rims was rusted pretty bad but they cleaned up nicely with a wire brush. I got out of work late tonight but was still able to make it down to the UPS store on Oregon before it closed to pick these up. FRESH RUBBER! Duro HF318 400/18 Got them […]