cbr250r – overview
Although 70’s Honda’s are my favorite cycles, I’m having an absolute blast riding around NZ on my new 1987 cbr250r. I wanted to give you guys a breakdown of what the cycle is like…
- It’s pretty ugly, but at the same time, I kinda like the way it looks.
- Wether you love it or hate it, the cycle is an absolute blast to ride. I’m really enjoying exploring NZ with Erin, on the cycle.
- Legally, you don’t need to have vehicle insurance in NZ. So, fuck it, I’m not gonna insure the cycle. It’s not worth anything anyway. Erin insured her new car (2002 Civic), and it’s like $300 a year for full coverage. ha, that’s so fuckin cheap.
- The one I bought is pretty close to mint original condition. It’s almost gonna be a sin to rip it apart.
- It’s light as shit. Prolly weighs similar to a 70’s cb200… but it has 45hp and 6 small gears!
- The bike has no torque at all. I’ll guess and say it has 5ft-lbs at 18K rpm.
- It would easily smoke my cb450 in a race. It’s pretty fuckin fast. I’ll guess and say it’s as fast as a 70’s cb550 supersport.
- The bike won’t go anywhere under 10K rpm.
- The front brake works so well, I almost flipped over the bars the first time I hit the brakes.
- It’s super nimble. I would love to roast Fairmount park on it.
- The bike is physically proportioned well. It’s small, but It’s not skinny like a Ninja 250. This cbr250r reminds me of the size of my cb450. It’s kinda wider, so it looks good.
- Runs really really good. Even though it prolly doesn’t need it, I’m gonna give it a full tune-up next week.
- I waxed it today. I kinda like the 80’s full-fairing in a weird retarded way.
- I put ODI mushroom grips on it today. Now it’s officially my cycle.
- The engine screams like it’s gonna explode at 18K rpm. It’s a loud, wild sounding bike. No exhaust noise. The loudness of the bike is from the engine only, not the exhaust.
- I’m determined to bring this cycle back to the US when I return in a couple years. It’s fun as shit.
10 responses to “cbr250r – overview”
Published - Jan 3, 2018
Our friend George sent over another vintage Z1 article. It’s the same year and color scheme as mine. From George; “I wanted to wish you and the clan a happy New Year. I ran across this Z1 article (Big Bike September 1974) and though Ed might a copy of it. It’s a pretty basic stock […]