Buy a brand new motorcycle
Yea, I know old motorcycles are cool.
Unfortunately not everyone should own an old shitty bike.
If you plan on buying a vintage bike be prepared for:
– becoming a full time mechanic
– your girlfriend to become annoyed regardless of if she admits it
– something on the bike to break once a month
– trying to find a shop who can fix your shit when you can’t
– spending $2K to get the bike, then endless money forever on the bike
I guess my point is, not every guy has the mechanical skill / patience required to own an old bike.
Below is a list of bikes you can buy brand spanking new. 2014 models. They’re all solid and mechanically reliable and quick enough. How fast do you need to go? These are all plenty fast. And tons of aftermarket support to make the bike cosmetically look as nice as the modified ones in the pictures below.
It seems everyone has the idea they’ll spend $1000 on buying an old bike, then another $700 to get it running and then they’re set. Unfortunately that’s not the reality. Over the course of owning an old bike … if you add up all the money you dump into it, including all the time you waste… you could spend a little bit more, have a brand new bike, and ride worry free the first day.
Imagine doing a road trip on the sr400. Let’s say you blow a regulator/rectifier 3K miles from home. It’d be awesome to call up a Yamaha dealership, and get another new reg/rect that day no sweat, instead of calling local junk yards ha.
All the bikes below are great platforms, and as you can see in the pictures, they can look great modified. Not sure if the pic of the SR400 is old or new, but whatever… they’re both pretty much the same.
Click the bike name to go to the manufacturer website…
Man, that SR400 is cheap! Under 6 grand for a brand new bike. Shit, I have more than 6 grand into my cb650 and that thing is a turd ha. If the prices of these new bikes are a little steep, buy one that’s 2 years old and save a couple grand.
– 400cc single
– 860cc parallel twin
– 750cc v twin
– 1100cc inline four
13 responses to “Buy a brand new motorcycle”
Published - Sep 27, 2012
– after seeing too many homeless people we left Portland – headed to mt. Washington – climbed it like champs – kinda a big workout for an old bike – cold as shit at the summit. 30 degrees – headed to George’s land in s.e. Vermont – you know George… Burly guy with the cb500 […]