XR650L – how to
Yes, I talked shit on these, but I had an idea and it’s the only bike that works. Planning on shipping it out west to leave out there, to do trips. Heres the way I thought about it.
- Ultra low compression motor will never break
- Can do a week of highway or a week off-road no prob
- Inexpensive bike
- Honda never changed a nut or bolt since 1993
- Buy one under $5k that didn’t appear abused by a dual sport dad and under 10k mileage
- Just spend a little more to get one that’s solid with low miles and it should run forever if maintained. Do alllll the fluids.
With a couple mods the bike can be not that gay or embarrassing to ride. Mods I did:
- De-smog and de-snorkel
- Uni air filter / DG v2 pipe with 1″ v2 silencer, end cap drilled out 1/2″
- Without the 1″ silencer the DG pipe was insane too loud.
- Dave carb mod. 160/58/2.5/ shim needle
- FritzCo wide front sprocket so countershaft doesn’t get beat up
- Dual sport dad had done Eibach front and rear suspension, bash guard, and 14/46 gearing
- Only decent looking bigger tank is IMS clear tank. Get that one.
- Eventually I added the “Sutton” xr650L oil cooler kit
What I don’t like:
- The years that have black color on top of the seat
- Keeping the turn signals
- Stock tail light
- Low bars, gotta go tall bars
- Non-knobby tires. Dunlop D606 are good.
What I do like:
- More fun to ride than I thought. Plenty of power after de-smog/intake/exhaust
- More capable in woods than I thought
- With all dumb shit removed looks like a normal dirt bike just bigger
- Good gas mileage, motor barely needs service ever, ultra reliable
6 responses to “XR650L – how to”
Published - May 4, 2012
Check out some photography from our buddy Garcia. If you’re from the area you’ve most likely seen and gawked at his panhead (1st photo). He’s helps run Hated of the World keeping it full of photos representing our local motorcycle culture. Check it out some of his photography and look for more on HOTW.