SW Montana Offroad Week
Well. A month in Montana was great. I needed to get out of Philly for a little.
Ending a month in MT with a week long offroad dirt bike trip was the best.
Colin led us through a crazy off-road enduro adventure through SouthWest Montana.
Such varied terrain. I can’t think of how to summarize the week. It ruled. Endless epic view and dirt trails and dirt roads in the absolute middle of no where.
Day 1 – Missoula to Sula mountain side
- leave Missoula and head south on highway
- camped on the side of a mountain next to a babbling brook
- Sick first day/night
Day 2 – Sula mountain to Ajax Lake
- wake up with light rain
- Coffee on babbling brook
- Pack up and head up the mountain 2-track
- As we continue climbing on dirt roads rain gets worse
- Turns to snow at 7-8k elevation
- Prob 2 hours of 2-track in rain/snow
- Eventually pop out on highway and have freezing 20 min ride into Wisdom MT
- Go to a restaurant and wait out freezing rain for 2 hours
- Drink 100 coffee
- Rain dies and head more off-road 2-track to Ajax Lake
- Ajax Lake sits up 8k elevation in middle of no where at top of a mountain in Big Hole Valley (BHV)
- Road towards top got gnarly
- Super rocky and steep
- XRs barely could make it up but did
- GS1200 was too heavy to make it
- Camped about 30 min hike from the lake
- Was raining almost all day into night
- Freezing at night – prob 34 degrees
Day 3 – Ajax Lake to west side of BHV
- wake up at Ajax Lake and it’s finally nice weather again
- Hike 30 mins up steep shit to the lake
- Coffee at the lake and hang
- Go back to camp and let shit dry in sun
- Pack up then head back into mountain 2-track
- Find a single track to take us up and around the mountain sides
- Colin said the single track was chill and he’d prob be able to do it no prob on the GS1200
- He was wrong. The single track was gnarly and intense. Pretty hard on the XR. Almost undoable on the GS
- Many spots help needed to spot each other
- I took a semi bad spill uphill on rocks, toppled over
- Finally got through it all sweating asses off
- Cool creek crossing at the end
- Adams boots got wet as shit bummer
- More 2-track until a sick camp spot on a bending creek – super sick creek spot
Day 4 – BHV to Centennial Valley
- great weather now compared to that second full day in rain
- My RSD jacket zipper took a shit
- We do more endless super fun 2-track for a couple hours and end up in Dillon MT
- I buy a Wrangler cowboy cut jean jacket and throw out my RSD jacket
- Tried to do 100mph on dirt road. Only hit 95
- Get more beer and get a solid burger
- Head out of town on more endless dirt fire roads for 50 miles into Centennial Valley.
- Camping in the open valley with nice mountain views
- We shoot the gun Colin bought in Dillon.
- Moon was real good
Day 5 – Centennial Valley to Ruby River Creek Griz country
- endless dirt roads
- I hate my tires. Garbage off road. TKC80 front is bullshit offroad. Pushes and slides too much.
- Legit in middle of Griz area now
- Meet cowboy Bill herding ton of cattle
- Hang for a while eat lunch but get eaten by flies instead
- More endless dirt roads – insane views can’t describe it
- Pretty technical riding 2-track
- Find insane camp site on Rosa Creek
- Legit swimming hole on creek
- Colin fishes
- Sleep in fear of Yogi
Day 6 – Ruby River Creek to Meadow Creek Lake
- leave Griz spot and head out
- Really technical but really fun 2-track with even more insane views than before
- Super warm during day. Sweating on the bike
- XR is a champ
- Head into Ennis MT and grab a late lunch and chill
- Head towards Meadow Creek Lake
- The lake is similar to Ajax Lake, as it sit at the very top of a mountain primitive road
- Colin is a nut. The road got insane rocky but he still tried it on the GS. Eventually accepted defeat the trail was insane too steep
- Headed back down and found a sunken valley style camp spot with a nice mountain look out view
Day 7 – Meadow Creek Lake to East Fork Reservoir south of Phillipsburg
- Head into Sherredon. Grab breakfast
- Then head back towards mountains for today’s off road route Colin put together
- Today was fun riding off road trails all through the valley. Felt like the desert
- Lots of miles today. Dusty
Day 8 – Head back to Missoula
- Really cold morning.
- Saw 2 female Moose. Saw a nice Waterfall.
- Ride some highway and get back to Missoula. Tired now.
3 responses to “SW Montana Offroad Week”
Published - May 5, 2018
Dcar and Ale were nice enough to invite us to eat all their Mexican food. Went for a ride. Got mad at a d bag on a Harley who cut us all off on purpose. Good times.